PDA

View Full Version : Google to punish webmasters for "Too much" SEO

Collin1000
04-01-2012, 12:57 AM
http://searchengineland.com/too-much-seo-google%E2%80%99s-working-on-an-%E2%80%9Cover-optimization%E2%80%9D-penalty-for-that-115627

What do you all think of that news? Too much SEO may result in a penalty from Google.

Now, they've always punished people for trying to "game" SEO, and I'm not surprised that they are doing this, but all of the SEO "gurus" are freaking out over it.

UmiNoor
04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I've read this news of how Google is going to penalize websites that are over-optimized mainly for having too many links too soon or for having paid links, etc. I guess Google wants to provide its users with the best Internet search experience. It's good news for those who use natural linking methods and provide good quality information and for those who use short cut methods to get ranking, it's bad news.

Randomhero
04-01-2012, 03:17 PM
I heard about google doing this and a lot of blackhat people are upset. I think the more natural link building, whitehat type people are happy with it. I think its good that google is doing this. Trying to regulate it some so that you cant simply over optimize an article and achieve page 1 rank anymore on google search :)

wjack2010
04-01-2012, 10:58 PM
In my opinion, I agree with Google. It's good news for all of us "good" webmasters out there, that try our hardest in a legit way, to get ranked correctly and fairly on search engines, but get penalized by people using other methods to cheat the SEO systems that are currently in place.

Collin1000
04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I heard about google doing this and a lot of blackhat people are upset. I think the more natural link building, whitehat type people are happy with it. I think its good that google is doing this. Trying to regulate it some so that you cant simply over optimize an article and achieve page 1 rank anymore on google search :)

I think that's exactly the point of most of the things Google does - punish the blackhat spammy SEO and reward people who have good content. No more keyword stuffing or dirty SEO tricks.

Amdac
04-02-2012, 12:21 AM
The main problem with this is that it's going to explode in an extremely negative way. There are already "SEO businesses" that will destroy your competitor's ranking by using the same spam link building profiles that google frowns upon, but they direct it at your competitors instead to hurt their rankings.

With all these rules in place making it incredibly easy to get "sandboxed" by google, it's way too easy to direct those efforts towards your competitors.

siddh
04-02-2012, 01:38 AM
This is a welcome change from Google which many people using white hat seo were waiting for. In order to outrank their competition, people use black hat or grey methods to top search engines.This affects the content and authority sites negatively. Google now wants to filter away the sites which climb up the rankings pretty fast.

Now the black hatters will have to find some other ways to keep their sites ranking intact. Well done again Google.

Moneygeddon
04-02-2012, 02:57 AM
This is a welcome change from Google which many people using white hat seo were waiting for. In order to outrank their competition, people use black hat or grey methods to top search engines.This affects the content and authority sites negatively. Google now wants to filter away the sites which climb up the rankings pretty fast.

Now the black hatters will have to find some other ways to keep their sites ranking intact. Well done again Google.

You know what the black hatters will do now then , if they want to beat your site? They will spam your site with backlinks that will be penalized!

Yep well done Google for not thinking things through. All they had to do was make the private blog network links worthless, but they wanted to flex their muscles. They really do think they are Gods now..

4leafclover
04-02-2012, 03:51 AM
You know what the black hatters will do now then , if they want to beat your site? They will spam your site with backlinks that will be penalized!

Yep well done Google for not thinking things through. All they had to do was make the private blog network links worthless, but they wanted to flex their muscles. They really do think they are Gods now..

I am happy with them regulating SEO, so as to allow natural and legitimate way for it. I think its definitely easy for Google to filter spammed backlinks. They wouldn't come up with this kind of method if they haven't thought of that for sure. Way to go Google! Site rankings done via grey methods doesn't really last. I tried both ways and I'm proud to keep things through the right way.

Jessi
04-02-2012, 03:53 AM
I'm pretty okay with this. It puts it back so that the little guys who are truly focused on just providing good content can really get ahead without putting too much attention on SEO itself, gaming the system, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing how this might effect my traffic. Hopefully in a good way!

Collin1000
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM

That seems like a major over-reaction. I'm fairly confident that they thought it through way more than you think they did. I bet that they have a way of knowing when a site goes from "clean" to "full of spam" - google knows the difference between user-submitted spam and link spam. Or, you could just use nofollow on anything user submitted and not even have this problem in the first place.

Victor Leigh
04-02-2012, 11:41 AM

No, they are not gods but the SEO gurus apparently think they are. I mean, have you read any SEO advice that doesn't take Google into consideration?

Amdac
04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I think its definitely easy for Google to filter spammed backlinks. They wouldn't come up with this kind of method if they haven't thought of that for sure.

That seems like a major over-reaction. I'm fairly confident that they thought it through way more than you think they did. I bet that they have a way of knowing when a site goes from "clean" to "full of spam" - google knows the difference between user-submitted spam and link spam.

This has actually been happening quite a bit and according to Matt Cutts, there is no system in place where a site owner can flag inbound links as spam. If someone throws up 1000 spammy links to one of your sites, according to google, you can't defend against it. They'll assume you've done it and sandbox your site until you remove the links.

The problem is, you can't remove the links.

I'm sure given enough time they'll implement a fix, but for now they've stated there is no immediate plan for this.

stephenu1
04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
It's not surprising that they will come to this move. We are so into SEO that oftentimes we forget what Google wants, quality. And for that we should be careful. That's why I always believe that there's always a good thing that awaits from patience and moderation.

Germs
04-03-2012, 02:04 AM
Any form of actively building back links is blackhat to be honest, its just about making it seem as natural as possible, which for anyone with patience is an easy thing.

BarelyHangingOn
04-03-2012, 04:13 AM
I have a PR3 domain that had many incoming links from a forum I also own. My PR disappeared as did my SEO listings and the adsense revenue that went with it.

I removed the link from my forum and in about a week my PR and search results slowly came back. Not to the point that it was previously but steady enough. This is all from their new algorithm. I wasn't doing anything crooked. Just put links from my own site.

firstplace421
04-03-2012, 12:11 PM
It's not too much seo, that's not the right term for that but it is called over optimization and Google has been proactive in that area ever since. Optimizing your site is good but over optimizing it that it becomes so centered towards getting trust from Google and setting aside your human visitors needs is bad. If you are aware of the Panda update then you should know this by now.

firstplace421
04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes this is true for a lot of people who have been slapped by Google for acquiring links from spammy forums and websites. This is also an abuse to forums, and many SEOs are doing this by using an automated software. You should do your SEO works with just one thing in mind, your human visitors. They are the ones who will share your stuff, who will plus one your stuff, who will link to your stuff so this should be your goal, to impress your visitors.

matteodion368
08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
If you make use of black hat SEO, you site will be de-indexed by the search engines such as Google. I think it is good thing, which Google is using to reduce the spammed sites.

blakedustin595
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
It puts it back so that the little guys who are truly focused on just providing good content can really get ahead without putting too much attention on SEO itself, gaming the system, etc.

Daneil_Hill
08-30-2012, 01:02 PM
It puts it back so that the little guys who are truly focused on just providing good content can really get ahead wihtout putting too much attention on SEO itselti, I'm sure give enought thim they'll implement a fix problem

fireplaces for stoves (http://www.thefireplacecompany.co.uk/)
marble fireplaces (http://www.thefireplacecompany.co.uk/fireplaces-marble-fireplaces-c-48_52.html)

Blingmo
08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah i have heard of that one too i mean from a friend of mine.... i do feel that in fact they are doing the right job.......... Creating a site is good thing but promoting them without any quality content is not good so that's why Google has to take measures like penguin penalty and panda...

Consult SEOPX (http://www.seopx.info/)

luiscook89
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
This will put the people who work for the quality of the content to be very good to trouble. They cannot work in SEO without paying attention to the quality.

skyhoby
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Yes, for those who do Black Hat SEO and for those who adopt unethical seo tactics to get more benefits easily and within no time. So, it's better for any website to check their websites seo process's compatibility with Google webmaster guidelines and make sure to refer Google's optimization tips.

jacksonperezy
04-26-2013, 09:00 PM
I have already said, that quality and ethical work always brings revolution! So, don't consider quantity, it's time to go with quality and it's really surprising news for those who really believe in spam and quantity. The exclusive shared link is really looking one of eye opening feature for today's Internet marketers.

johnmacklen
05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
thats what happened with some of the clients websites who where working with some other SEO providers in India

I have a friend who does SEO for clients and he said all the main keywords which were overly optimized are no where on Google now

Kim Meredith Smith
05-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the useful information.